Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default OT -- deer hunting success -- He shoots! He scores!

The following is an article appearing in the Daily_Record, the local
newspaper located in Wooster, OH which is about 50 miles south of
Cleveland, OH.

Although there is a considerable amount of industry in Wayne county,
the area remains very much agricultrial.

SFWIW, Canaan has a population of maybe 100 people on a good day.

Last time I was there was a "Stop" sign to control traffic.

Definitely a "Wide place in the road" type of place.

Enjoy

Lew

As deer-gun season begins hunters donate venison to Farmers and
Hunters Feeding the Hungry
Hunters donate venison to help others in the community

By ART HOLDEN Daily Record Outdoor Editor Published: November 27, 2012
4:00AM

CANAAN -- Ohio's deer-gun season, and in particular, opening day of
the season, is a day that over 400,000 hunters look forward to each
year. It pumps millions of dollars into the state's economy, and for
the past four years, has also helped fill area food pantries.

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry is a nationwide program that
encourages hunters to donate venison, and Monday morning, Gary Singer
of Orrville was the first to drop off a deer for the program at Canaan
Meats in Canaan.

"I shot two deer during the bow season and I've got so much meat in
the freezer. I had an extra tag, so I figured I'd donate this one,"
said Singer, who took the time off from working at Smith Dairy to go
hunting.

"I'm mainly a bow hunter, but there's something special about opening
day of the gun season," he added. "I still had three tree stands up on
the property I hunt in Coshocton County. I had to go back there to
take them down, so I might as well hunt."

Singer, hunting with a hand gun, shot a young doe. He field dressed it
and took the back straps out, then donated the rest of the meat to
FHFH.

"There's still a lot of meat on that deer," he said. "People donate
canned vegetables, but they don't donate meat. This is as good as it
gets."

Canaan Meats owners Tim Morris and Ryan Lilly said participating in
the FHFH program is the right thing to do.

"It's a way to give back to the

community," said Morris. "Some of this meat goes to the Creston Food
Bank and area churches. It definitely costs us money to do it, but
that's not the point. The point is to help people in the community."

Across the U.S., FHFH raises funds and pays meat processing plants to
process donated venison and other big game. They don't get involved in
making fancy cuts of meat, deer sticks or jerky, but instead grind it
up into hamburger and freeze it. Canaan Meats, though, goes the extra
mile and adds beef and pork fat to the ground venison to improve the
quality of the product.

"Last year we (processed) between 20 and 30 (FHFH) deer, and this year
we're already halfway there," said Lilly. "There's a lot of people out
there that are really into hunting, but not into the meat, so they
donate the deer."

John Abele, of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, says the program is a
win-win for all involved.

"Think about it, it provides a lot of people with meat," said Abele,
who was at Canaan Meats aging deer for the Division of Wildlife. "The
way the economy is, there are a lot of people out there that need this
meat. Instead of it going to waste, people are utilizing these deer."

Meat plants participating in FHFH in Wayne County include Canaan
Meats, Shreve Custom Meats, Tucker Packing (Orrville) and Yoder Custom
Meats (Fredericksburg). In Holmes County, Miller's Custom Meats
(Millersburg) and Goedel's Farmerstown Meats (Sugarcreek) are
participating in FHFH.