Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default OT -- deer hunting success -- He shoots! He scores!

On 11/26/2012 05:19 PM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:47:20 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
That is the problem that folks who assume high moral positions have. They
can not allow anybody to introduce logic or intelligence into the
conversation. I pointed out how eating wild game was HEALTHIER than regular
meet at the supermarket. You obviously think it is better to get cancer and
die rather than eat an uncontaminated meat source. Are you a PETA member?

Have you ever heard of chronic wasting disease?
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cwd/

From the web page: "Surveillance studies of hunter-harvested animals
indicate the overall prevalence of the disease in northeastern Colorado
and southeastern Wyoming from 1996 to 1999 was estimated to be
approximately 5% in mule deer, 2% in white-tailed deer, and 1% in elk."

In other words, 95% of the mule deer, 98% of the white-tails and +99% of
elk are uninfected. Plus, the infection is not widely spread across the
entire US. It is present in specific regions. Overall, the health of
the game population looks pretty good, even in the troublesome areas.

How about Toxoplasmosis?
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2011/oct27/oct27_toxo.html

That site tells me that "Authorities estimate that 30 to 60 percent of
adults in the United States have been exposed to the parasite, but the
organism rarely causes disease. Although most human infections are
silent, there may be brief flu-like symptoms in some cases. The greatest
risk of real illness in humans would likely be in someone whose immune
system is already compromised."

Oh, and this was a jewel: "According to Oertley’s study, the prevalence
of toxoplasmosis in white-tailed deer in the Southeast was 24.4 percent.
On the other hand, surveys conducted at commercial slaughter houses to
determine the prevalence of this organism in domestic meats indicated a
great variance in occurrence, but infection rates as high as 64 percent
for sheep, 45 percent for swine and 38 percent for cattle were found
among animals to be used as human food."

What's that? It's two and a half times higher in sheep than white
tails? A bit shy of twice as much for pork and 1.25 (give or take) as
much for cattle.

Tell me again why I'm supposed to worry about this?

Maybe you've heard of Bovine Tuberculosis?
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/deerhealth.html

Sigh. From that web page: "The DNR does not believe the state's wild
deer population is infected with TB. Since 1996, more than 150,000 deer
in Wisconsin have been screened for bovine TB, and no evidence of the
disease has been found."

Your blind assertion that deer meat is healthy is full of holes. I
wonder how many hunters take their deer meat in to have to analyzed?
My guess would be that the number approaches "0". Food and water
directed to human consumption is inspected on a regular basis.

Within any population there will be sick animals. That's hardly an
indictment on the whole population. Wild meat *is* by and large
healthier than what you find at the supermarket. Probably leaner too
which is better for you.

I hunt and fish not just to survive, but to thrive...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska