Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default OT -- deer hunting success -- He shoots! He scores!

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:42:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Whine.....

Gotta come down on the whining side. He has the right to go hunting
when and where he wants, all rights except a moral one.

I think it would be more accurate to say he has all of those rights except
for one that matches up with your personal opinion - there is no moral
standard being violated in what he did.

In this day and age, when food is plentiful and available, killing
such a majestic animal purely for sport is an affront. He didn't kill
the buck for survival and he didn't do it for pest control.

You are assuming he killed it purely for sport. He did not say so, and in
fact he did talk about the anticipated food value of his kill. That's quite
a bit different than pure sport. It's always risky to assign personally
held beliefs to others as if they were the motives of others.

The biggest reason that most people eat meats like beef, foul, etc. is that
they prefer the taste of it and/or the convenience of simply getting it at
the market. For those who genuinely like the taste of venison, hunting
their own and bringing it home is the reason for their hunt. Of course,
there is the challenge between the hunter and the game (more capable at
eluding the hunter than in falling prey to him), and the sense of reward in
a fulfilling hunt, but why should that be a problem?

Killing just for the hell of it just because we're the most predatory
animal on the planet is unacceptable.

Killing just for the hell of it Dave? That's more assignment on your part.
He hasn't said that he just goes afield and indiscriminately blasts every
deer he sees, just to let it lie there as coyote spoils.

Yup, I used to hunt, (not very successfully I might add), but my views
have changed over the years.

A view to which you are entitled, but that is really rather irrelevant. His
views have not changed in like manner and that does not make yours in any
way superior to his.

--

-Mike-