Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Keeping Siberian homes from freezing

On Nov 15, 8:38*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Physics: If the circulating water is in insulated tube like the delivery
system, the water retains the heat, rather than radiating it. If the water
is in uninsulated metal *such as a radiator, the heat radiates. If the
radiator is insulated, the heat stays in the water, and the returning water
is hotter, and needs less heating.

I've not been to Russia, and don't know the details. The article also didn't
say. I'm guessing it's water circulation. Cast iron radiators. And, to "turn
down the heat" would be to partly cover the radiators with something like
fiberglass insulation, or a blanket.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
The article says the only way to regulate the indoor temp is by opening
windows. To my way of thinking, if they covered parts of the radiators, it
would reduce the heat input into the room. The heat would go back to the
plant, and reduce the fuel consumption. Uncover as more heat is needed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

http://rbth.ru/articles/2012/01/04/s...now_14073.html

http://tinyurl.com/c7lebrh

TDD

Please explain the physics behind the heat returning to the plant if the
radiator is partially covered.

First tell us what kind of radiators they have and how you would cover them
to accomplish your goal.- Hide quoted text -

So let's say you and I live in the same building. Just my family and
yours for the sake of the discussion. My radiators are before yours in
the system. I decide to cover 1/2 of my radiators to keep the heat
down.

Wouldn't your apartment be hotter than before I covered my radiators?
Based on your explanation - which I am not necessarily doubting - the
water reaching your radiators would be hotter, therefore your
radiators would radiate more heat, which would mean that you would
have to cover more of your radiators than I did to maintain the same
heat, right?

Then the outside temperature goes down and I want more heat, so I
uncover 1/2 of the 1/2 I had covered. Now the water reaching your
radiators is cooler, so you need more heat for 2 reasons: 1, it's
colder outside and 2, the water reaching your radiator is cooler
because more of the heat is radiating into my apartment. Therefore you
have to uncover more of your radiator.

Now, extrapolate that out to 10 apartments or 50 or more. That seems
like a lot of constant covering and uncovering to maintain a
comfortable temperature in each apartment. Everytime someone makes a
change, the whole building is affected.

I think I'd stick with opening and closing windows which only impact
single apartments, or even single rooms within each apartment.