Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Keeping door latches from freezing

wrote in message
Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? I was wondering about silicone spray? Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? Any other
ideas?

For key holes use a commercial prepared lubricant designed to keep water
out, and make sure the little flap over the key hole is working, it won't
freeze if you keep the water out.

For push buttons, use a white grease around the button and work it in, again
to keep water out so it won't freeze. Freezing rain will still build up over
the button (and the key hole) making it difficult to use, but there is
nothing you can do about it, other than keeping water from entering and
freezing inside the mechanism.