Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default my recent activity

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:53:39 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

I agree with you completely, Tom...
When I teach, the student masters the roughing gouge, bowl gouge and
scraper before touching a carbide tool..
I feel that if you know what all the traditional tools feel and sound
like, and what each one can and can't do, then you're ready to use
carbide to take the place of some turning jobs...
Much the same as I believe that the more you know about a car, the
better understanding you'll have when driving it... People that have
done a brake job use the brake pedal a little differently, etc...

Another tool I like is the Versa chisel:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCVERSA3.html

Sort of a combo skew/gouge/scraper, it takes a bit of practice but
it's a great tool for spindle work and for the outside of bowls and
cups..

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 1:29:19 -0500, Mac Davis wrote
(in message ):

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:03:27 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Hey, Tom... Long time no type...
Confession time: After buying 2 dvds and taking a class I got pretty
good with a skew and could even get lucky and get a good edge on it
once in a while, and now I almost never use one...
I do very little spindle work, and when I do I find that instead of a
skew now my "go to" tool is usually the Woodchuck Bowl Pro..

I could NEVER get as good an edge on a skew as the carbide insert has,
or the precision...

With practice and a light touch, you can sstart sanding with 240 or
320 grit instead of the "80 grit gouge"..
Do a good turn for me, amigo..

Thanks for your response, Mac.
Part of my interest in the skew is one of traditionalism and part of it is a
control issue. In an earlier era, the skew was the chief tool in turning,
even though it took more training and practice than scrapers. I feel that the
skew is a tool I need to learn to use, but I am not going to abandon the use
of scrapers, either. In the matter of control, I can control the quality of
the cutting edge on the skew, but can not control the quality of the cutting
edge with a carbide lathe tool, and when it goes bad I have to buy another
one. I do use carbide router bits, but I also have the ability to resharpen
them if need be... ditto for my carbide tipped circular saw blades.
For me, turning is more craft than art, and I want to develop a certain skill
set, which includes the skew.

Please know that I am not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to show where
my head is at, right now, and what works for me.
tom koehler