Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default my recent activity

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 1:29:19 -0500, Mac Davis wrote
(in message ):

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:03:27 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Hey, Tom... Long time no type...
Confession time: After buying 2 dvds and taking a class I got pretty
good with a skew and could even get lucky and get a good edge on it
once in a while, and now I almost never use one...
I do very little spindle work, and when I do I find that instead of a
skew now my "go to" tool is usually the Woodchuck Bowl Pro..

I could NEVER get as good an edge on a skew as the carbide insert has,
or the precision...

With practice and a light touch, you can sstart sanding with 240 or
320 grit instead of the "80 grit gouge"..
Do a good turn for me, amigo..

Thanks for your response, Mac.
Part of my interest in the skew is one of traditionalism and part of it is a
control issue. In an earlier era, the skew was the chief tool in turning,
even though it took more training and practice than scrapers. I feel that the
skew is a tool I need to learn to use, but I am not going to abandon the use
of scrapers, either. In the matter of control, I can control the quality of
the cutting edge on the skew, but can not control the quality of the cutting
edge with a carbide lathe tool, and when it goes bad I have to buy another
one. I do use carbide router bits, but I also have the ability to resharpen
them if need be... ditto for my carbide tipped circular saw blades.
For me, turning is more craft than art, and I want to develop a certain skill
set, which includes the skew.

Please know that I am not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to show where
my head is at, right now, and what works for me.
tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.