Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

" wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:31:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 19, 1:16 pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:34:29 -0400, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:17:57 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"Don Wiss" wrote in message

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?
(2) Is this the same etiquette in the UK?

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

To avoid any problems with code or neighbor, make both sides pretty. that is
what I would do. WW
Putting the pretty side to the neighour's side requires working
access on the neighbour's side. And if the neighbour also puts up a
fence, pretty side to pretty side, everyone has an ugly fence., and
the second fence is going to be a real hassle to build in place.

Two fences, face to face, is kinda silly, no?

Not really. My backyard is offset from the 2 yards behind me,
approximately 2/3, 1/3. The 1/3 neighbor had some nice board-on-board
fencing, the 2/3 neighbor had chain link.

I bought the same style board-on-board fence and installed it face to
face with the chain link fence to hide it, to match the other 1/3 and
to provide more privacy.

Good grief. There is no "good side" of chain link fencing.

Of course there is. By code the posts must go inside the yard. That makes
one side "good" and the other side not.

You could say that there is no good side of board-on-board fence, but for
the same reason, there is. The posts must go on the owner's side.

Point being, two fences, face to face, isn't silly if there's a valid
reason.

Different subject.

Some pretty petty laws, as far as I'm concerned.

No, it's really just common sense.

Now that, I agree with.