Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:31:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 19, 1:16*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:34:29 -0400, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:17:57 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"Don Wiss" *wrote in message
. ..

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?
(2) Is this the same etiquette in the UK?

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

To avoid any problems with code or neighbor, make both sides pretty. that is
what I would do. WW
*Putting the pretty side to the neighour's side requires working
access on the neighbour's side. And if the neighbour also puts up a
fence, pretty side to pretty side, everyone has an ugly fence., and
the second fence is going to be a real hassle to build in place.

Two fences, face to face, is kinda silly, no?

Not really. My backyard is offset from the 2 yards behind me,
approximately 2/3, 1/3. The 1/3 neighbor had some nice board-on-board
fencing, the 2/3 neighbor had chain link.

I bought the same style board-on-board fence and installed it face to
face with the chain link fence to hide it, to match the other 1/3 and
to provide more privacy.

Good grief. There is no "good side" of chain link fencing.

Point being, two fences, face to face, isn't silly if there's a valid
reason.

Different subject.

Some pretty petty laws, as far as I'm concerned.

No, it's really just common sense.

Now that, I agree with.