Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:29:23 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:50:41 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:12:09 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?

Yes. Even if the neighbor *prefers* the other side.

My brother's neighbor put up a stockade fence with the horizontals on
my brother's side. He asked his neighbor if he minded if he minded
if he used those horizontals to hang some plants on the nice
south-facing vertical surface. The neighbor was happy with his
smooth side-- my brother was happy with the easy to use horizontal
slats- and then the building inspector stopped by. He made the guy
take the fence down and switch it around! Luckily it was along a
level spot so the fence was salvageable as-is.

Jim

Could have just said he built the fence for his neighbour (your
brother) and called it a day.

Not when the twit of a building inspector was measuring the distance
to the property line, too. [I think it had to be 2'- which really
crowded the guys driveway & wouldn't have bothered my brother if it
was right on the line-- but rules is rules.] The neighbor was
aware of that rule-- [and maybe the other one too, but just figured if
they were agreeable it would be OK]

Jim