Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Oct 19, 9:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:12:09 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?

Yes. * *Even if the neighbor *prefers* the other side.

There are actual LAWS governing the orientation of fences?

Must suck to live in such places.

In my city, the only fence law of which I'm aware is that concertina wire
topping must be at least six feet above the ground. I'm not sure about the
rules on mines...

There are not only laws governing the orientation, but also the
height. In my town the fence can be 6' high from the rear property
line to the back line of the house, 4' from the back line of the house
to the front line of the house with no fence past the front line of
the house to the street.

For those with corner lots or other odd sized lots (or houses) this
can be a real problem and often requires a long drawn out exception
process. We have a friend that lives on a corner lot which has been
fenced in since before the ordinance was put into place. When a drunk
driver destroyed a large portion of the fence, he went to the town to
get permission to replace the entire fence since the remaining
sections were pretty old and wouldn't match the new sections.

The town pushed back and said that the only reason that they were
going to allow him to replace the destroyed sections was because he
was grandfathered in, but replacing the remainder was considered a new
installation and would have to meet existing codes - meaning no fence
at all. They reluctantly relented when most of the neighborhood showed
up at the board meeting and convinced them that we did not want to
look at half an old fence and half a new one. One neighbor actually
put together a photo-shopped poster of the 2 versions - making the old/
new combination look really bad - which probably helped sway the
board.