Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Oct 19, 12:06*pm, Norminn wrote:
On 10/19/2012 9:57 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

On Oct 19, 5:13 am, Norminn wrote:
On 10/19/2012 6:12 AM, Don Wiss wrote:

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?
(2) Is this the same etiquette in the UK?

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-maillink at home page bottom).

I saw it in building code (Florida or doing a Google?) as you state.
Just bought a house with fences situated that way, about 3" inside
property line according to survey. *I've never given it much thought,
but looking at a home from off the property it might look rather odd to
see the back side of fence.

Amazing that code forces your neighbor to provide 'access' in order to
properly put in that fence. Else the neighbor gets the 'ugly' side.

Give access? *Don't know what you mean. *Same principle I believe as not
being able to remove all branches of trees at the property
line....intentionally spiteful giving of the ugly treatment to neighbors )- Hide quoted text -

I'll give that a try....

My local code allows me to put a fence right along the property line,
but the good side must face the adjoining property. When I sunk the
posts for my wooden sections, they were within a few inches of the
property line, with just enough room for the sections to be attached
to the neighbor's side of the posts, but not cross over the line.

In order to screw the panels to the posts, I had to be on the
neighbor's property. Even if I suspended myself from the tops of the
sections to screw them on, I'd still be in the neighbor's air space.

Thus, "access" to the neighbor's property is (most likely) required.

I suppose, with enough manpower and extremely good planning, you could
install the entire fence post-side-down on your property and then
stand it up and drop it down into the post holes, but backing filling
the post holes would be pretty difficult with the fence blocking the
neighbor's side of the posts. That's not a method I would like to be
involved with.

In my case, after putting up the fence, I used spare slats to cover
the butt joints where the sections were screwed to the posts. I don't
know if that was required, but I sure would want someone to do that
for me.