Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Why can't I get the "wobble" out.

jtpryan wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2012 5:28:12 PM UTC-4, G. Ross wrote:
jtpryan wrote:

For some reason I always seem to have a very slight wobble in my work. For example, I have just started turning a pepper grinder. So, I turned a tenon on one end and put it in my chuck. I bring up the tail stock to keep nice even pressure on the piece while I tighten the jaws. Now I turn down the blank to where it it is a cylinder and should be true. But even with the tail stock in I experience this very slight wobble. I mean if I bring the tool rest up and take a tool, say a skew, and bring it closer to the piece it will start hitting it unevenly, sort of a tick, tick, etc. And no matter what I take off it still does this. Could I have an issue with my lathe? It's a Jet 1014.

_jim

Have you checked that the tailstock is aligned with the headstock?

--

G.W. Ross

Megabyte: A nine course dinner.

How do I do that? Just bring the two together and see if the points meet? If they aren't, how is it adjusted?

I'll check the other points today.

Thanks,
Jim

There should be a bolt on the bottom of the tailstock. Loosen it and
get the points in alignment, then tighten the bolt. If it gets out
often, you can buy an alignment tool which has a Morse taper on each
end. Loosen the bolt and slide the tailstock up so that the tool
holds it in alignment, then tighten the bolt.

Some lathes may have another method for holding the tailstock in
alignment--I've only owned three so cannot say about the many other
brands.

--
G.W. Ross

If we can build a space shuttle, why
can't we build a decent mattress handle?