Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Carbie tipped tools

On Oct 12, 7:29*pm, Ray wrote:
I have been doing turning for less than 2 years. *So far I have
mastered the scraper and the sanding block. *Lately I have been doing
bowls. *I have watched some of the utube videos on the carbide tipped
tools. *Some indicate that they act like a scraper, others like a
skew. *Which is more accurate? *I see how a round bar can angled to
skew. *A square bar would seem to work like a scrapper. *They seem to
vary quite a bit in price. *Captain Eddy of Big Guys Productions has a
14" x 1/2" square bar with 4 tips for $45. *Seems like a deal. *Or
will I regret it and wish I had spent more? *I am still pretty much a
thrifty novice. *Some of my bowls are shown he

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

Hello Ray,

I've been turning since 1988, and still like the bowl gouge for bowls;
however, I have several of the Hunter tools. I purchased the first one
about four years ago when Mike Hunter was just getting started. His
tools work very well, I've turned spindles and bowls with them and
many other things. The Easy Rougher and Easy finisher are also good
tools. I got my first ones of those almost three years ago.
Incidentally, I saw both of these when attending the Desert
Woodturning Roundup in Mesa, AZ and purchased two easy roughers, later
I purchased the Easy Finisher. I recently obtained a set of Killian
Tools from Knots and Burls to Bowls in Ontario, Canada. My review of
those toosl is in the November 2012 issue of More Woodturning
Magazine. I still think people should learn to sharpen and use regular
turning tools, but these carbide tools cut down on the number of trips
to the grinder.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturningmagazine.com