Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Carbide tipped tools

In article ,
Ray wrote:

I have tried bowl gouges. While I can them to cut I find it simpler
and easier to use a round nose scraper. I get long thin shavings with
the scraper. I spend much more time designing and making the blanks
than in turning so speed is not a factor. When the bowl is finished I
don't think even a wood turner would know how it was done. I am still
wondering if the carbide tipped tools work more like a scraper or a
skew.

Hunter works like a Skew, but it's not designed to do bowls. I've used
Easyrougher for, well, maybe 5 years now and it works like a scraper.

I find that the Easyrougher is faster then my big (3/4 inch) bowl gouge.
I use it 90% of the time to get a bowl from a chunk to near shape. I
then switch to a gouge as the Easyrougher gives me, what I consider, an
unacceptable amount of tear-out.

Now these tools are not new, the Myrtle Bowl makers on the Oregon coast
have been using a similar tool for decades now. Their tool is a the Big
Ugly and has a Tatung cutter. They sharpen it basically twice a day.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv