Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why can't I get the "wobble" out.

That is a good hint - tapers are made with offset tailstocks

Is your lathe level ? or is the bed twisted ? Put a level
on the ways at the head and tail - then lengthwise.

Jack up a leg or two to make it level. Wait a week or two and
check again as the twist starts to come out - might need adjusting.

Martin - both metal and wood lathes.

On 10/12/2012 4:28 PM, G. Ross wrote:
jtpryan wrote:
For some reason I always seem to have a very slight wobble in my
work. For example, I have just started turning a pepper grinder. So,
I turned a tenon on one end and put it in my chuck. I bring up the
tail stock to keep nice even pressure on the piece while I tighten the
jaws. Now I turn down the blank to where it it is a cylinder and
should be true. But even with the tail stock in I experience this
very slight wobble. I mean if I bring the tool rest up and take a
tool, say a skew, and bring it closer to the piece it will start
hitting it unevenly, sort of a tick, tick, etc. And no matter what I
take off it still does this. Could I have an issue with my lathe?
It's a Jet 1014.

_jim

Have you checked that the tailstock is aligned with the headstock?