Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Kozar[_2_] Dan Kozar[_2_] is offline

Default Why can't I get the "wobble" out.

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

jtpryan wrote:
For some reason I always seem to have a very slight wobble in my work. For
example, I have just started turning a pepper grinder. So, I turned a
tenon on one end and put it in my chuck. I bring up the tail stock to keep
nice even pressure on the piece while I tighten the jaws. Now I turn down
the blank to where it it is a cylinder and should be true. But even with
the tail stock in I experience this very slight wobble. I mean if I bring
the tool rest up and take a tool, say a skew, and bring it closer to the
piece it will start hitting it unevenly, sort of a tick, tick, etc. And no
matter what I take off it still does this. Could I have an issue with my
lathe? It's a Jet 1014.

_jim

Have you checked that the tailstock is aligned with the headstock?

Try putting a piece in the chuck and not using the tailstock. If you
still get the wobble, check the headstock bearings, or try turning
something between centers without the chuck, in case its the chuck.