Posted to alt.home.repair
Abacab Abacab is offline

Default extra 3/8 shut off valve for sink faucet?

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...et-716374-.htm
Abacab wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:

After reading this about 4 times, I realize he means to crimp the
existing,=
flexible supply line going from the valve to the sink, unhook the end
of t=
he hose from the sink, connect a valve t the end of the hose and another
ho=
se from the new valve to the sink. That would allow him to install a new
va=
lve without shutting off the water.

--

Yes. While not expressed as clearly as it could have been this is what I meant. A kitchen contractor I hired did this and he said he crimped the flexible supply line/hose. I have also read of others using a C-clamp on the flexible hose; if on the hot side the water should be run to make the hose more pliable.

This would do the trick IF it doesn't r=
upture the hose (which is probably old) and flood the apartment.

There's always that risk so being able to shutoff the water in case something goes wrong would be highly advisable.

BTW a furnace contractor replaced a broken gas shutoff valve without shutting off the gas, in the same property, and for the same reasons.