Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default extra 3/8 shut off valve for sink faucet?

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:54:07 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 9, 3:44*pm, Abacab
I have observed this setup on more than one occasion. I believe it is possible to crimp the existing supply line, or use a C-clamp on the existing supply line, to stop the flow of water without shutting off the water to the building.

Where are you suggesting that he place this C-clamp which will allow

him to accomplish his goal?

After reading this about 4 times, I realize he means to crimp the existing, flexible supply line going from the valve to the sink, unhook the end of the hose from the sink, connect a valve t the end of the hose and another hose from the new valve to the sink. That would allow him to install a new valve without shutting off the water. This would do the trick IF it doesn't rupture the hose (which is probably old) and flood the apartment.

However, my guess is it's not necessary. I believe from the OP's description that the old valve is not seized but just doesn't shut off all the way, which means he can remove the hose with causing a serious problem.