Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default You seen one bag of mortar, seen'em all??

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:

Along these lines (and of a previous post), I bought two different
types of grout, sanded and unsanded. Sanded is like a fine mortar
(iiuc), and unsanded is, I presume, very fine particles that don't
quite qualify as sand. The former is for gaps 1/8 to 1/2", the
latter up to 1/8". So that should cover various slate-type, step
repairs, with fine-ish cracks.
Someone had suggested thinset, but the cart was already getting hard
to push....

You should have put back the two bags of grout - neither of which is what
you need - and gotten the thinset.

Well, I didn't open them yet....

The reason I didn't get the thinset was because there were *so many*
versions, I just didn't know which one to get.
They made a lot of pre-mixed thinset in buckets, along with the bags. What
in particular should I look for?

Bear in mind that I have three types of repairs:
missing mortar in a stone wall, on the order of cubic inches of volume per
patch;
spaces in flagstone on top of a stone wall (1/8-1/2" wide), and slate
walkway cracks of about the same;
and very fine cracks around existing slates/mortar in the walkway, patio,
porch.

Will thinset do ALL of this, or just the finer cracks?
--
EA

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net