Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet 1442 bowl extension

Large bowl turners make their own or buy lathes designed for such.

They don't have ways just a deep head and heavy duty. The large U
frame has a tail stock when wanted. Most are just the head.

I suggest searching for bowl turning lathe. Use Google naturally.

Martin

On 9/12/2012 12:59 AM, Mac Davis wrote:
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:07:14 -0700 (PDT), Phil Crow
wrote:

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

TIA,
Phil

This is for turning bowls larger than 14" diameter on your lathe...
You know that, right??

It's called an outboard tool rest... Available as an option from Jet..
People that I've talked to don't like it or the cost.. I think it was
about $300 when I had my 1442VS..

Most people prefer a freestanding tool rest, looks like a large
automotive safety stand with a tool rest.... These can be purchased
or built...

I really wouldn't recommend this unless you really need to turn LARGE
objects and have a lot of experience turning bowls.. YMWV