Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Stamp[_2_] Colin Stamp[_2_] is offline

Default Two speed switch for bathroom fan

On 10/09/2012 11:14, David WE Roberts wrote:
Life is complicated :-)

My plan is to have a bathroom fan with a humidistat, a run on timer, and
an override switch.
I can source the parts to do this.

However when looking at fans I can see that the ones which come up as
suitable for my size room are mainly two speed fans.
O.K. find a two speed fan switch to add to the list.
However I can't seem to locate an IP44 switch which can switch a fan
between the two speeds.

I did find
http://www.buyheliosonline.co.uk/spe...s-22-389-p.asp
but this has a 0,1,2 switch state and I don't really want a switch in
the circuit which can disable the fan if switched to the wrong setting.

That switch is for a three-phase fan. I'm guessing yours is single phase.

Anyone have any idea of a suitable switch to use?
I just want to switch between low and high speeed, but don't want the
switch in the loft or under the ceiling downstairs where it isn't easily
accessible.

Assuming the fan just has two alternative live terminals, you'll just
need a changeover switch e.g. a two-way light switch. then the challenge
is finding one in the right environmental rating that doesn't ming too
much...

Cheers,

Colin.