Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Meth Lab Cleanup

On 9/8/2012 12:19 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:05:29 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 08:37:23 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

I've been looking at homes for sale and came upon one that is condemned
because it was used as a meth lab. The little research I've done shows
that there are certified contractors who can inspect and correct the
conditions to make a structure habitable. Anyone have experience with
this? What chemicals remain in the structure, how to be sure it is
safe, etc? The house needs work, just from observation, but looks like
a good candidate for rehab.

I dont know anything about meth labs, but I'm sure the police or other
law enforcement people have removed all the drugs and/or materials used
to make the stuff. That leaves nothing to cleanup, except the
reputation of the house. A good scrubbing, some paint, and friendliness
to the neighbors should do the job.

Just my opinion.

DAGS living in a meth lab house. Many cases of people getting sick;
even after houses were "decontaminated", and cleared by state EPA and
heath officials. Houses sold without disclosure of the toxic
chemicals. Examples of poor decontamination procedures. A real
nightmare for families. Health officials that dummy up.

Chemicals poured into the yard that contaminates water supplies, soil,
aside from the structure damage.

The OP _should_ skip this house and run away. Problems are more than
just removing visible chemical containers. Expensive too!

Good points but I'm not so sure that any chemical residues would be
dangerous. You can look up recipes on the web. Usually the biggest
problem with meth labs is the ether solvent which has caused many a fire
or explosion but would be long gone from a vacated lab. Side products
could have been washed down the drain readily to be disposed of. Maybe
if house had a well and septic, then you need worry about ground water
contamination.