Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Chimney breast removal

harryagain wrote:

Another problem is that the chimney may support the roof structure and
alternative support must be found.
I think trying to remove the chimney breast while leaving the stack
is a very bad idea regardless of the dodges one sees advocated.
You do gain a lot of space.

I don't know why people fuss over removing chimney breasts - I've removed
dozens of them and never had any problems.

People seem to think that they are a freestanding structure that the house
is built around, and by removing the bottom, the whole lot will cave-in,
this has never happened and never will because they are keyed into the
external wall at each side, so an inverted V shape of brickwork may fall,
but that's it.

Some steel gallows above the bedroom ceiling, at each side and below the mid
feathers and all is sound again.