Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default Chimney breast removal

"suzi_q" wrote in message

Just after some advice. I have bought a house with intentions of
removing the chimney breast and having read on various pages the needs
that differing situations involve I have a few questions.

1) when asking for quotes what qualification/accreditations will I be
asking if the builders have?

2) what insurance do they need to have?

If there are any pointers that you recommend I do, they too will be
greatly appreciated.

--
suzi_q

I thought this was a DIY site.
I have removed several chimnys, but always the lot, from top to bottom.

Apart from mess, roof /ceiling repairs and work involved, the main problem I
have found is the back of the chimney may not line up with the walls on
either side, So, you are left with removing that as well or chiselling
away/filling in the hole in the brickwork. Really hard going that one.

Another problem is that the chimney may support the roof structure and
alternative support must be found.
I think trying to remove the chimney breast while leaving the stack is a
very bad idea regardless of the dodges one sees advocated.
You do gain a lot of space.