Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

A new tenant of mine has asked me if he can mount his large flatscreen
TV on the wall of my property. Up until now I've always resisted such
requests because I'm concerned about damage to the (solid brick) walls
caused by multiple drill holes - tenants tend to be fairly short-term so
I'd run the risk of completely honeycombed brickwork if a new mount gets
erected every year or so.

I've been mulling over a possible solution though that would keep both
tenants and me happy. They all seem to want to put the TV over the
fireplace (why?!?); so what I was wondering about was hacking back an
area of plaster to the brickwork, about 12" high x 18" long, and then
firmly attaching a matching rectangle of three-quarter-inch ply to the
brickwork, ie recessed into the plaster. Finish and paint to match the
walls (ie magnolia!). Tenant would then be free to screw his TV bracket
to the wooden panel; for any tenant without a bracket, the panel would
simply be concealed behind a 24" x 36" mirror which currently hangs there.

When the wooden panel is too riddled with holes for any more mounts to
be safely attached; then the idea would be just renew it (ie using the
same brickwork drill holes as before).

The only issue I can think of with this Cunning Plan is whether the
panel will be meaty enough to take the weight. Would three-quarter-inch
ply (what, 16mm thick in actuality?) be adequate? Would blockboard be
better/worse? Or maybe a couple of planks of solid timber?

The TV of the new tenant (not moved in yet) is apparently 49", which
sounds a bit heavy to me...

Any thoughts?
Thanks
David