Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning sink drain? ? ?

On Jul 9, 7:38*am, "Ray" wrote:
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

Don't know about the solution, but about using carbonated beverages...

Back in the student days when one was forced to live in accomodations
less than one would put up with today; four of us lived in a rented
house [to save money it still took all four of us]. The landlord did
not really clean up too well after the previous tenants, so we had one
upstairs sink that was so clogged with some type of gunk [could be
seen looking down through the overflow] it seemed to drain faster with
the plug in than with the plug out.

We tried every process we could think of, hot water, pumping, etc,
every chemical we could find, including gasoline and paint thinner -
after all we were desparate to get this sink cleaned up for use.
Absolutely nothing touched the sludgy, ?? gunk.

In an act of frustration and desparation I poured my bottle of Pepis
into the overflow. The reaction was incredible. Foaming, billing out,
then suddenly 'flump' like sound as everything just went down the
drain. I continued to pour the remaining soda down the overflow to
watch foaming completely clean the view. Until voila! the sink was
totally brought back to original draining operation - fixed!

Plus, much of the metal was shiney again.