Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default newbie with some wet wood

Of course I did it the wrong way, I'm a newbie! But so far so good, it's
down to about 15% moisture inside the hole from 37% and is only a little out
of shape. Still within the size that I'll be able to get my project out of
it. The outer edges are about 2 - 5% so I'm letting the wood sit now until
the weekend. Hoping it will stabilize. Fortunately, I live alone. If I were
still married, I think putting huge chunks of wood in a brown paper bag and
putting them in the mwave would have been cause to call the men in the white
coats! LOL

Vic

"Mac Davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 13:36:11 -0700, "Vic Baron"
wrote:
Did you use the side of the block, or turn it with the hole being end
grain?

Hopefully you did it cross grain, end grain things, especially deep
ones, crack and warp the most..

Thanx all.

Trying a hybrid approach. Rough turned, drilled undersized hole and am
trying the mwave route.

Will be an interesting experience. Sure like how easily wet wood turns
though!!

Vic

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
et...

Vic, given that the wood has been at your place for a couple of days+,
you
are already running out of time to get the advice given acted on. Bill,
Keven and Martin have all given great advice. You might also try to dry
it
in the microwave.

http://www.woodworkweb.com/woodwork-...105-microwave-
wood-drying.html

Whatever you do, do quickly.

Deb

Vic Baron wrote:

ok - bought a 6x6x14 piece of figured maple online. Was supposed to be
12%
moisture content. Piece arrived - it is beautiful but it's 38%
moisture.

What I am turning is two bases roughly 6x6x6 that will be the base for
hurricane lamps. There will be a 3" diameter x 4" deep hole I the
center
for the lamp oil cannister.

I've read several similar threads relating to bowls, etc but nothing
this
thick.

What is the best way to proceed?

I live in So California so it gets quite warm and dry in the summer.
The
wood is unwrapped and is not waxed.

Should leave the piece whole and let it air dry?

Should I cut it into two 6x6x7 pieces and let them air dry? Put each
piece
in the mwave before turning?

Should I cut them and rough turn them including drilling the 3" hole?

Really confused. Hate to wind up with a big piece of firewood.

Any suggestions appreciated - am really puzzled.

Thanx,

Vic