David Hearn

Default Case of the unknown circuit

A while back I asked people to aid me in working out what my electric
circuits were. Well, I've now done some further investigation and things
are a little more strange.

I have 6 circuits:

32A - electric shower
32A - downstairs ring including a FCU off to the garage and a single socket
radial off the same MCB.
32A - upstairs ring (including a spur somewhere off it to feed a socket
which the immersion heater comes off.
6A - downstairs lighting
16A - upstairs lighting and loft lighting
6A - unknown.

People had suggested that someone had wired up the wrong MCB to the upstairs
lighting and the unknown 6A MCB thinking the 16A should be for the immersion
heater. However, upon further investigation, I've found that the immersion
heater socket is a spur from the upstairs ring. We don't actually use it,
and the plug/socket is slightly scorched!

I've also found that the unknown 6A circuit goes somewhere upstairs via the
cavity (in the same direction as the shower cable - straight up) - where it
ends up, I've no idea. Also that 6A MCB is dead. I noticed that it would
turn off very easily at almost the slightest touch when the others took a
little more force. I checked with a multimeter and the MCB makes contact at
about 2/3 on, but when fully on its disconnected. As a result, this circuit
has never been on for the 6 months we've lived here and there's nothing
electrical that we know of that isn't working - so we've no idea where it
goes.

Any ideas what the unknown circuit is going, what it may be connected to? I
can only assume that it was for something which isn't used any more - but
you'd have expected them to have disconnected it at the CU! It does mean
that I have a spare slot in my CU - which may be useful for something in the
future.

Incidentally, both the upstairs lighting circuit (I think 2.5mm T&E) and the
unknown circuit (possibly 1mm T&E) appears to be in grey T&E where the rest
is in 100% white T&E. It may have had white on it at some point as it is
clearly grey, but around the curved edges looks almost like white paint was
on it as some is still there with an almost flaky appearance (the flat part
is grey). For the lighting circuit, this is both at the CU end, and the
loft end where the lighting comes off it. It looks the same sort of stuff
as the white T&E and is marked with the Henley trade name (250V specced).

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.