Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_3_] Dr. Deb[_3_] is offline

Default newbie with some wet wood

Vic, given that the wood has been at your place for a couple of days+, you
are already running out of time to get the advice given acted on. Bill,
Keven and Martin have all given great advice. You might also try to dry it
in the microwave.

http://www.woodworkweb.com/woodwork-...105-microwave-
wood-drying.html

Whatever you do, do quickly.

Deb

Vic Baron wrote:

ok - bought a 6x6x14 piece of figured maple online. Was supposed to be 12%
moisture content. Piece arrived - it is beautiful but it's 38% moisture.

What I am turning is two bases roughly 6x6x6 that will be the base for
hurricane lamps. There will be a 3" diameter x 4" deep hole I the center
for the lamp oil cannister.

I've read several similar threads relating to bowls, etc but nothing this
thick.

What is the best way to proceed?

I live in So California so it gets quite warm and dry in the summer. The
wood is unwrapped and is not waxed.

Should leave the piece whole and let it air dry?

Should I cut it into two 6x6x7 pieces and let them air dry? Put each piece
in the mwave before turning?

Should I cut them and rough turn them including drilling the 3" hole?

Really confused. Hate to wind up with a big piece of firewood.

Any suggestions appreciated - am really puzzled.

Thanx,

Vic