Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default BBQ Pit

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:27:07 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to build one, but not that big. Mine will be fairly large,
however,
and will probably have a metal roof over it. I have been toying with
ideas
on how to transfer heat and smoke from firebox to cooking chamber, and
have
even thought of a series of sch 40 steel pipes with dampers on them. I
would say mine would have a footprint of about 50 square feet.

Steve

Series of pipes with dampers? Sounds overly complex.

Look at some of the pits here
http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/pits.htm

be sure to check out the details on Dave's pit
http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

This is my favorite
http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/beast.htm
Mike put a lot of research into what will work well.

I had seen these sites already. The idea of the pipes came from one of
these sites, can't recall which. A small network of pipes would be made,
welded together to be airtight, and then set in concrete to help transfer
both heat and smoke. It would be easy to make cleanouts, and keep them
clean with a round brush. I mainly want to make it out of block, with
concrete filling all the voids in the blocks, and passageways to be simple,
able to be kept clean, and retain heat.

Steve