Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

"Steve B" wrote in message

I would say that just based on the lockout/tagout statutes of OSHA,
there

would be no problem about locking it. Just make sure the necessary people
have a key or combo.

Steve

I think you may have it backwards. OSHA is concerned about locking
electrical items so no power can be applied.

At work there are atleast 100 breaker panels. We put hasps on them to lock
them. Later we were told that we could not do this and to take all the
hasps off. Seems that it is not legal to lock a breaker in the ON
position. We have to lock out each circuit in the panel when we work on
them instead of locking some off and some on.

The rules are very 'funny' from one time to the next and maybe even in each
city.
While they probably will not know, it is best to check with someone in the
electrical inspector department of the area you live.