Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

On 2012-06-09, wrote:

Anyone know anything about this?

It's complicated by local state laws. They are probably all
different. It's also bizarre cuz of onwnership.

Case in point. Back when young and communal living was common, my
wife and I shared expenses with another couple on the home we rented.
One day, the ditzy blonde of the couple declared they were not going
to pay rent, that month, like it was some kinda lifestyle choice. I
ended up having to break the lease and move out, paying some hefty
penalties. The couple decided they were NOT gonna move out and
essentially squat. The electric service was in my name. I called the
utility and told 'em to cut it off. They told me as long as there was
someone living in the house, the would not discontinue service. I
went to the house, turned off the pwr, and put a lock on the breaker
box. The utility found out and demanded I remove the lock. I told
'em not until the shut off service, which they finally did.

The whole episode was ludicrous in the extreme. The box is not the
utility company's. It's installed and owned by the homeowner. So how
come they can dictate its use. Also, they would have no problem
turning off pwr if I failed to pay the bill. Why did they insist they
couldn't turn off the power when someone was illegally using it. To
this day I despise PG&E and jerk 'em around whenever possible.

I would suggest calling the public utilities commision (PUC) in your
state. OTOH, they're no doubt in the major electric utility's pocket
and will refer you back to the utility, but it's worth a shot.
They're all lying scumsucking dirtbags of the worst sort.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs