Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Need to refinish a mahogany front entry door

Doug wrote:
All,

Need to refinish my mahogany front entry door - would like to
undertake this myself, however not clear this would be the best
course of action.

Why not?
___________

Understand that finishing in place is not practical and I do not have
a spare door to put in place while the door is off being refinished.
Spraying a large surface with multiple coasts of spar varnish in the
house is also not a good idea.

There is no reason that it can't be finished in place and there is no reason
to spray it. It isn't all that hard to get a good brushed on varnish
finish. You DO need a *good* brush.

You also don't want spar varnish. For some obtuse reason, people seem to
think that spar varnish is the ne plus ultra of varnishes. Not so. As I
and others have explained many times it is a specialized varnish for a
specialized purpose; namely, varnishing spars. It is good for that because
it is softer and more flexible and spars bend.
_______________

Very much appreciate any comments / suggestions on how to proceed -
including recommendations of craftsman / companies that are known to
do reliable and high quality door refinishing.

I would do it myself. I would go buy a decent marine varnish with an UV
inhibitor, a good brush and have at it. You probably wouldn't need more
than a quart.

Step one is sanding down the old finish; if it is varnish, no need to
totally remove it, just get down to a good layer. Step two is
varnishing...you flow it on and want the varnish thin enough to flow easily
but not so thin (or applied so thickly) that it runs. You'll need to apply
several (4-6) coats and don't do it in the sun.

I would not use a poly varnish; it is hard and durable but MUCH harder to
refinish. I'd use an alkyd/phenolic varnish. I always liked Z-Spar (the
"spar" in the brand name doesn't mean it is spar vanish). Here's one
source...
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...keyword=z_spar

___________________________

What is the preferred method for installing a kick plate - glued,
screwed, or both?

I'd screw it. With small, round head brass screws (assuming the plate is
brass).

Is the kick plate installed before the finish is applied?

After

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...

http://www.dadioh.net