Posted to rec.woodworking
doug doug is offline

Default Need to refinish a mahogany front entry door

All,

Need to refinish my mahogany front entry door - would like to undertake this myself,
however not clear this would be the best course of action.

Understand that finishing in place is not practical and I do not have a spare door to put
in place while the door is off being refinished.

Spraying a large surface with multiple coasts of spar varnish in the house is also not a
good idea.

Found a local shop that does this work - they remove your door to their shop for 7-10
days, and install a temporary door by screwing it to the door jam.

While that may be a secure way to install the door - am not receptive to having 6 screw
holes left in the door frame.

My location is west Houston / Katy area.

Very much appreciate any comments / suggestions on how to proceed - including
recommendations of craftsman / companies that are known to do reliable and high quality
door refinishing.

What is the preferred method for installing a kick plate - glued, screwed, or both?

Is the kick plate installed before the finish is applied?

Thanks in advance for comments from the group!

Regards,

Doug