Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Bowl finish

On 06/03/2012 05:53 AM, F Murtz wrote:
How to finish turned bowl to use for food Maybe even hot soup?

Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish, or General Finish's Salad Bowl Finish are
both fine - they're a polyurethane/oil mix I think. Several coats makes
a nice glossy finish. I like the General Finish's product better, YMMV.

I've also used shellac (not dewaxed) and it stood up to hot soup just
fine. I read of one guy that used it to coat/seal a homemade canoe.

In general I wouldn't recommend washing wood in hot soapy water or the
dishwasher. A wipe out with a damp cloth and a quick rinse & dry will
probably be better for the bowl's longevity...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska