Posted to rec.woodworking

Default makeshift vice

Artemus wrote:
"sal" wrote in message
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper
work bench , not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of
3/4" ply on top of each other over sawhorses. I have a number of
3/4" x 3" oak slats from outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold
them securely to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws
getting in the way. Sal

I use this when sanding. Available in supermarkets, kmart, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Dra.../dp/B000KFSOFI
Just lay it on your work surface with the part to be sanded on top of
it.

You might also want to try a piece of carpet pad under the workpiece. It
will hold pretty well on most surfaces, and not slip. Cheap enough - you
can probably get scraps free from a carpet supplier. Don't use the foam
junk. Use the stuff that is multi-colored (don't know what it is called).
Just lay it on your workbench, and lay your stock on it.

--

-Mike-