Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 23:00:16 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 6/2/2012 6:32 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:37:46 -0500, Steve
wrote:

On 6/2/2012 1:34 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:32:55 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 06/02/2012 07:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 06:59:33 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered
big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the
previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.

If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah,
you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product
is working just fine for my homeowner needs.

Jon

Want to buy my Homelite? It had less than ten hours and was worn out.
You certainly got lucky, but that is a rare exception. Ask at any
small engine service shop.

Already got one, but thanks.

One thing you have to realize is that they typical Homelite purchaser is
not going to be an experienced two-cycle engine user. They will be less
likely to properly mix the gas, they might keep it too long (ie, not use
the mix within a month), they will be more likely to leave gas sitting
in the tank, and they will be more likely to forego the routine
maintenance (air filter and spark plug) that any two-cycle motor requires.

Use gas within a month? Who does that? ...particularly 2-cycle mix (I was
lucky to use a gallon in a year, so bought a 4-cycle trimmer).

Yes, they are cheaply built, but how much saw can you reasonably expect
for $80? Despite that, I've had good luck with mine using it for
intermittent household-duty work, paying attention to proper maintenance.

Jon

Hello? the four cycle trimmers (at least the STIHLS) which is the only
brand i would consider. Still use mix fuel.

Hello? Not everyone is a Stihl shill. Mine doesn't use mix, rather has an
oil pan. You really gotta get out more.

are we talking string trimmer?

At least some of us are, though it's hard sometimes to know exactly what
you're talking about, other than shilling for Stihl.

With a crank case full of oil?

Certainly.

What brand is that?

Mine is a Troy Bilt, but there are others.

It must be heavy.

Wrong.

How's it work upside down?

Quite well. Well, it's right side up, for the trimmer.

I really don't need to get out more.

Wrong, obviously.

I have stihl products, no need to go out anymore at all.

No doubt about it, you're just a Stihl shill. Fool.