Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

On Jun 2, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:50*pm, Greg wrote:

On 6/2/2012 11:52 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

The idle adjustment screw is easily accessible and quickly fixes that
problem; if you had read the fine manual you would discovered this for
yourself. They are purposely set too low to keep the EPA happy, as well
as to make DAMN SURE that there is ZERO CHANCE of the clutch engaging
when someone sets the saw down next to the baby when they go in the
house for another crackhit (you can thank the lawyers for that one).

A harder adjustment is increasing the mixture screws to be richer,
because they have a limiter on each screw which allows them to only be
turned leaner (again, thanks to the EPA for that one). This can cause a
problem if the saw is running too lean at WOT, and will burn it up in
short order.

As in most limiter screws, it is easily bypassed if you are somewhat
handy (I removed the limiters on mine).

I have to agree with the other posters, Stihl is the best!

You can make excuses and blame lawyers and EPA all you want but I've
never had to do any of those things to get my Stihl 2-strokes to run.

FWIW, I do use Stihl MotoMix exclusively so that I don't have to worry
about ethanol fuel decay and resultant damage. I just keep everything
fueled up with MotoMix and ready to go. They always start easily and run
great.- Hide quoted text -

On a related question, I have a 2 cycle weed whacker
that would not start. *I sprayed carb cleaner in it and
now it starts just fine, will run with the choke off, but
as soon as you give it about 50%+ throttle it starts
to stall. *And at that point even quickly backing off on
the throttle, it will not recover, it just dies out.

While cleaning and looking at it I noticed one thing
that doesn's seem right. *When I pump the bulb I
see solid gas going into the carb, but some bubbles
are there in the return line. *Even pumping many
times makes no difference.

So, my current theory is that there is a leak at the
carb that is allowing air to get sucked in? *And
that it isn't a problem at lower power but causes
fuel starvation at higher power? * Next thing I'm
going to do is see what the return fuel line does
when it running and the problem occurs. *Any
other thoughts?

Bulb could have a small crack that you can't see and it don't leak
because you have your finger over the crack, or fuel line has crack,
or you need to put gas in it.

I woud replace the fuel line. This is the most common problem. Then
replace the primer bulb ( less than $5). One or the other should solve
your problem.

Hank