Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:36:50 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

that guy that loves his probably doesn't have near 10 hours on it.
LMAO! Try 12 or 14 a DAY 100 or so days a year.... think STIHL.

You might do it differently if you run a landscape service.
But I've been using my 90 buck Craftsman for about 8 years.
Probably put no more than a couple hours run time on it each season.
Maybe less than 2 hours. That's all I need.
Never drained the tank. Never pulled the plug.
Always started with a few yanks after sitting all winter, always with
old gas in it. In fact, I bought the gas I that was in it at the
start of this season about 4 years ago.
Wouldn't start this year, so I drained the tank and turned it upside
down for a couple days. Bought new gas for the mix, primed it and it
started with a few yanks.
Kind of disappointed me. Was looking to get a new one, with 2
strings.
Anyway, it's always had touchy choking. If not fully choked and at
half-throttle, it won't fire. You'd think it was purely dead.
Then as soon as it fires, you have open the choke quickly, or it dies.
And I mean quick. Like 2 seconds quick.
Then it runs like a banshee.
So tricky choking causes some engines to seem dead.
I've seen the same on car/truck carbed engines, but on 2 strokes it
shows up much more.
Always check the choke first, then move to spark.

--
Vic