Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob_Villa Bob_Villa is offline

Default What's inside of these modern electronic ballasts

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 3:47:02 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
What's inside of these modern electronic ballasts for florescent shop
lights and other straight tube fixtures? I know these ballasts are
being sold more and more to replace the old iron core magnetic types,
but what's going on inside of them? Obviously there are semiconductors
and other electronic components. I would suspect that a capacitor
discharges to start the bulbs.

I tried to google a schematic, found several showing how to wire them
(same as the old style ballasts), but none show the innards or a
schematic that explains how they work.

I also wonder how durable and reliable they are compared to the old
ones? Electronics are often more likely to burn out from power line
surges caused by lightning and load surges. Since surges occur in all
electrical systems, are the electronic types as durable as the old coil
wrapped around iron ("transformer") types.

Thanks

From the ones I have installed...they are at least as reliable. The 4 ft-4 tube ones are 125-270volt. So they must clamp the voltage. The lasts ones I received were even smaller now. Although as long, maybe slightly bigger than an inch square.