Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Sprinkler wire question

On 5/4/2012 3:40 PM, genius wrote:
Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. Is that the required thickness? I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones That would make reconnecting the wires after I
extended
in 25' or so of cat5e, to the timer quite simple since I know which
wire would be which zone. I googled all over and it looks like
minimum 14 gauge for underground use. Since I am above ground and in
a garage, can I use the cat5e even though it's 24 gauge?
TIA

it all boils down to how much current do the remote valves require or
pull? You should be able to find the specs on the mfgr website. 24ga
won't carry much current. But i can't imagine it needing to be 14.
Most the rainbird installations i've seen have used 18ga or so. Some
18/8 thermostat cable may do the trick.

--
Steve Barker