Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Help identify a type of siding

wrote:
I have a cabin that was built in the 1940's and re-sided in the 60's
or 70's. The siding has an approx 8 inch coverage per sheet. It's a
horizontal siding where each strip overlaps the one below it. Looks
similar to the natural redwood siding used on many homes in the 50's.

The material appears similar to masonite. It's a type of hard
compacted particles. The surface has been painted, I dont know if it
came pre-finished or not.

This siding is mostly still in good condition, except the bottom
board, which has weathered and has disintergrated on one side, plus
there's a hole in one board from a fallen tree.

I'm looking to see if I can purchase a few replacement boards to
repair the bad boards, and then repaint the whole cabin. For cost
reasons, I dont want to reside the whole thing, not to mention that I
find today's plastic siding repulsive, and there dont seem to be much
else available other than metal ribbed steel, which would make it
look like a barn. I doubt I'll find this stuff new, but maybe some
demolition company will have some boards. The problem is that I dont
know what this stuff is called, so it's hard to call places and ask
them if they have it, when I dont have a name for it.

Anyone know what this is called?

If it's about 1/8" thick, grey, and brittle, it may very well be asbestos.
It was quite popular in the early '50's.