Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help identify a type of siding

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:43:30 -0500, wrote:

I have a cabin that was built in the 1940's and re-sided in the 60's or
70's. The siding has an approx 8 inch coverage per sheet. It's a
horizontal siding where each strip overlaps the one below it. Looks
similar to the natural redwood siding used on many homes in the 50's.

The material appears similar to masonite. It's a type of hard compacted
particles. The surface has been painted, I dont know if it came
pre-finished or not.

This siding is mostly still in good condition, except the bottom board,
which has weathered and has disintergrated on one side, plus there's a
hole in one board from a fallen tree.

I'm looking to see if I can purchase a few replacement boards to repair
the bad boards, and then repaint the whole cabin. For cost reasons, I
dont want to reside the whole thing, not to mention that I find today's
plastic siding repulsive, and there dont seem to be much else available
other than metal ribbed steel, which would make it look like a barn. I
doubt I'll find this stuff new, but maybe some demolition company will
have some boards. The problem is that I dont know what this stuff is
called, so it's hard to call places and ask them if they have it, when I
dont have a name for it.

Anyone know what this is called?

Sounds like "Masonite" siding. It's junk but if yours is really holding up,
good for you. Most is completely coming apart in 10-15 years. "Plastic"
siding (I assume you mean vinyl) isn't the only siding out there. Hardi
(Hardiplank and Hardipanel) makes some really nice, low maintenance, stuff.
You could probably use Hardiplank to repair, at least the bottom boards, of
your siding. It probably isn't the same thickness so would really only work
if the full bottom course is replaced.