Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default the importance of truly clean contacts

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:56:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I used to see drum type TV tuners that had been cleaned with Brasso.
They were nice shiny brass, after the silver plating was removed by the
Brasso. They worked great for about two weeks. Then they had to buy a
new tuner.

Thanks for that.

I just checked the instructions on my Brasso can.

All it states is that it is "for polishing Brass, Copper, Steel, etc".

I also have a can of silver polish whose instructions warn that it
should not be used on silver or gold plated items.

- Franc Zabkar

You can reduce the silver sulphide back to silver metal using a bit of
aluminum foil and some sodium carbonate solution. Works great on badly
tarnished silverware, and doesn't leave big copper splodges the way
polish does. (Polish contains abrasive.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs