Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default the importance of truly clean contacts

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:41:38 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I decided to give the plug a proper cleaning with DeOxit.

I use Philips 390CCS contact cleaner. It fixes most of these kinds of
problems.

Otherwise, if the contacts are large enough and flat enough, I use a
cotton bud and Brasso metal polish.

I used to see drum type TV tuners that had been cleaned with Brasso.
They were nice shiny brass, after the silver plating was removed by the
Brasso. They worked great for about two weeks. Then they had to buy a
new tuner.