Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

On Apr 9, 9:02*pm, Home Guy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
The discussion isn't about box vents vs. soffit vents, it's about box
vents vs. a ridge vent.

If you ask me, box vents are more fussy to install (and shingle around)
vs ridge vents, and they don't give you as much ventilation area as you
think. *In your case, the box vents you're being quoted for actually
have a circular opening of about 8" diameter (on the bottom) and the
perforated area on the outer side may not add up to a whole lot of
actual ventilation area.

http://www.lomanco.com/index.php/ven...tic-roof-vents

Your vents have a specified ventilation opening or area of 50 square
inches. *Every running foot of ridge venting will give you between about
24 quare inches ventilation (about an inch worth on two sides) and be
faster to install - but I don't know about the cost of ridge venting.

Your aluminum Lorenco vents come in a box of 6, and can be had for as
little as $20 for a box if this ebay vendor is any example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140627349384

Bottom line is that a ridge vent is very easy to install, and gives more
ventilation capability and more even ventilation than box vents.

However, be aware of this:

Summer is notorious for having hot days WITH LITTLE OR NO WIND.

Any passive vent system really needs a good wind to help ventilate your
roof. *So you might (or should) consider not having too much passive
venting AND have some power vent fans.

Going with the lightest-colored shingles you can manage is also better
than dark shingles.

I just spoke to another guy from the same company that sent the
estimator out.

Here is what he said, which is more or less in line with what the
estimator said, meaning that the company itself believes this, not
just the guy that looked at my roof.

According to them...

Ridge vents need more intake than box vents to operate properly. With
a ~6" soffit, they couldn't put in enough soffit vents to properly
feed a ridge vent. Box vents tend to let more air out than ridge
vents, so in cases like mine, where not enough soffit vent intake can
be provided, they usually recommend box vents over a ridge vent.

He is recommending 10 6" x 16" soffit vents (there are none now) and 6
box vents instead of the current 4.

I have appointments with a few more contractors and obviously this
will be a point of discussion.