Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

gonjah wrote:

You mean you have a fan like this:

http://woodheatstoves.com/images/solarstar_gable.jpg

Yup. It's unplugged and will probably stay that way.

That's probably not a smart thing to be doing in the summer. It will
help reduce the heat in the attic, which will make your house easier to
cool and it will prolong the life of your shingles.

So you don't already have aluminum-clad soffits then... ?

Looks like this w/o all the dirt

(picture)

So you have plywood under your eaves.

If you're not considering putting up aluminum under the eves then you're
probably not going to be doing anything with the eves. If they're high
up off the ground then again it's not so easy to do anything with them.

I wouldn't waste my time putting up more vents under the eaves when it
takes almost as much time and effort to clad the eaves with perforated
aluminum soffits.

The previous owner of my house (build 1976) had clad all outside window
casings and the eves with aluminum. They left the original eave vents
in place and simply covered them with a section of perforated aluminum,
and used solid aluminum everywhere else. I've since replaced half of
the soffits with fully perforated aluminum, and I cut holes in the
plywood between every rafter joist.

I also had to do some repairs to the 1/2" pine boards that close the
eaves (the boards that the gutters are nailed into). So for those roof
sections where I pulled those boards off, I installed down-lights every
4 feet, flood lights and a receptical box at the corners (I also pulled
some low voltage wire and coax to the corners if I want to mount a
camera there). I even installed some speakers every 6 feet.