Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Mr.CRC Mr.CRC is offline

Default NiMH charger recommendations?

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I own an Energizer CHM4FC, which you can get for around $25. It handles AAA,
AA, C, D, and 9V. There's a NiCd / NiMH switch for cell type. I use it for
5400mAh C cells, and it works fine.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chm4fc.pdf

The catch is... The maximum charge current is ~ 500mA, and you have no
control over what the charger does.

Get a MAHA PowerEx MH-C9000. It does only AA and AAA cells, * but you won't
regret it. You can pick the charge rate, and there are functions (such as
refresh and capacity) not on simple chargers. You can see exactly what's
going on.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Ma...rbr_p_134.html

The current $52 price seems high (I have two, purchased at around $40 each),
but Thomas occasionally has sales.

* MAHA told me it has no intention of making a C adapter. Rats.

I have that MAHA charger and it can't correctly discharge Sanyo Eneloops
(I think they have a little higher impedance than other cells) and the
charger uses some horrible high current pulse mode.

Then on charge one day it put 3.6Ah into one of my 2Ah cells. I don't
use it anymore.

Then again, I have had troubles with the Lacrosse BC-900 type chargers
too. Only they just break after a while, but work Ok in general.

There are also hobby chargers. I have a Thunderpower at work for some
LiPo cells.

--
Mr.CRC

SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17