Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Chris K[_2_] Chris K[_2_] is offline

Default NiMH charger recommendations?

On 04/04/2012 16:59, DaveC wrote:
http://www.all-
battery.com/Tenergy_TN190_NiMH_NiCd_Advanced_Universal_Charger _with_LCD_Displa
y-01190.aspx

I have an older version of the one you linked, without
the fast/smart capabilities. I've had it for three years;
it's been flawless. And the high-capacity Tenergy
D-cells (10,000 mAH) I use are also excellent.

Lord Valve

It turns out that the Tenergy charger uses delta-V termination on all except
the 9v battery. Also, has condition function (discharge before charge) on all
except 9v.

Blast!

Dave

Suspect delta-V sensing would never work on a 9v battery as it is seven
cells in series which would reach charged state at different times.
Best strategy is to charge at a low rate for the maximum time to ensure
all cells are catered for.

Also, if you get an 'intelligent' charger for single cells, they are
often a bit too clever and fail to recognise the presence of a cell that
has been over discharged or reverse charged (can easily happen in multi
cell packs). A quick blast (~1A for a few seconds) gives it enough of a
start for the charger to see it. Either keep a 'dumb' charger or
connect across an alakaline cell for a few seconds.

I've used this one for a number of years

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/techno...line-BL700.asp

Flexible if a little slow. I've found the very fast chargers prone to
killing the batteries after a few cycles.

Chris K